Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Eddy Merckx Team Motorola

The addiction strikes again and Santa visited good ol' Maui a bit early this year! I had been looking for a 1991 Eddy Merckx Motorola TSX Team frame for a while and just happened to stumble on this one. Yeah, I know, I'm a couple years out of the '80's time frame, but when the addiction rears its head, it doesn't really care about two measly years...











I installed the seatpost/saddle just so I could clamp it in the workstand. The seatpost, a Dura Ace 7400 Aero will stay but the Selle Italia Flite saddle most likely will not.


While I wasn't 100% sure as to the authenticty or the year of the frame, I did consider the following evidence:



Authenticity:
1) Number hanger present on top tube.
2) American Airlines sponsor decal on left side of top tube next to seat tube.
3) Team Motorola decals on both sides of the top tube nearest the head tube.
4) Serial number format (see below)
5) No braze-on mount for FD.
6) Remnants of Shimano sponsor decal on non-driveside chainstay

Date:
1) Serial Number: Not using the typical production format found on http://www.cadre.org/Merckx/. The single "C" on the right side maybe matched the date code of 90/91. If that's true, then this had to be a 1991 frame since in 1990 Motorola was known as hmmm... what was that team again... oh yeah 7-Eleven.
2) External top tube cable routing: I have seen pics of Hampsten in 1992 with the external routing, so I'm leaning more towards 1991. Several later examples that can be found on the internet have the internal routing. I guessed maybe earlier than 1993, but the external cable routing proves nothing by itself. Even my '89 Corsa Extra has internal cable routing.

Mysteries
1) No name decal: Although all the evidence points to this being a legit Team Motorola frame, the lack of a name decal is disappointing. Further inspection doesn't reveal any adhesive residue along the top tube where a decal could have been at one time.
2) No original fork: I don't know what it is but I have bad luck with Merckx forks. The last Merckx I acquired was in amazing condition in just about every aspect except the chrome on the fork was a peeled mess.
3) No tubing sticker: I mean none; not even a small remnant. Crazy... I've seen my share of cracked, torn, flaked, scraped, scratched, gouged, and downright false Columbus tubing decals, but never where all traces have vanished. Could be there was no decal to begin with - which begs the question, SLX or TSX?? I can feel the spiraling in the seat tube from the bottom bracket. However, shining a flashlight through the BB down the downtube, it appears as if the spiraling only extends maybe less than 1/4 of the way through the tube, but I can't be entirely positive. Anyone else have any methods of differentiating SLX and TSX tubing?


UPDATE: 01/06/2011 - I guess I didn't have to look very far to answer my own question. In my post here the steel tubing reference chart shows 1) Columbus TSX top tube and down tube both feature "helical reinforcements the entire length of the tube" and the chainstays feature "longitudinal reinforcements". My, how embarrassing to find an answer in my own blog!


As for the questions of authenticity and year of manufacture, I did write to Gita asking if they could provide any information on the serial number. I'll reveal that information in January sometime after the holidays, but in the meantime, I thought it'd be fun to have the Valued Blog Reader Faithful put in some guesses as to who the frame belonged to. Look for the poll on the right and put in your vote!

2 comments:

  1. I have an Eddy Merckx Team Motorola frame I purchsed in 1991 directly from the team (just after 7-Eleven gave up sponsorship. It was ridden by Mike Carter in the 1991 Tour de France. His name tag is still on the frame. About 6 years ago I sent him an email telling him I bought his frame. I still have his email response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, I'd love to see pics. If it's still outfitted with the original gear, it would really help my build reach a higher level of accuracy. And even if it's not, any Team Motorola is great eye candy.
    What was Michael's response when you emailed him, do tell...

    ReplyDelete