Friday, May 1, 2009

1988 Schwinn Circuit Project - Intro


As I mentioned in my previous post, my latest project is this 1988 Schwinn Circuit. The pic to the left is what the seller sent to me.
I had considered buying one of these for several years, mostly because it has a full Shimano Sante gruppo and there's enough of them floating around out there that they're relatively easy to find on CL, ripmeBay. However, at the time, I was restoring a couple Allez's with Suntour parts and that kept me strapped in terms of time and money. Big time.
I was always enamored by the Sante group - you either love it or you hate it - and I just happened to love it. Probably not as 'beautiful' as some classic 80'
s Campy bits, whose shiny objects I am also mesmerized by, but it does have its appeal, and, 20 years later, a novelty factor.
Back when I was considering purchasing one of these, maybe 6 or 7 years ago, ripmeBay had loads of Sante stuff for sale cheap and a Circuit would pop up every now and then. They didn't go for the insane prices that Suntour commanded so I figured I had plenty of time to get around to it. Well, come 2009 and I don't know if folks are hoarding Sante stuff now or if it's in scarce supply but it seemed increasingly difficult to find.
I finally found this one from a seller in New York ( I live in CA). I called him up to ask if he'd ship the bike to me after offering all kinds of assurances that I wasn't some scam artist. To make a long story short, I finally got the bike and the seller was a good, solid guy to deal with.
Next up: Some initial impressions of Schwinn as well as Sante as I tear down the frame and build it back up to all its 1988 glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment