Friday, May 1, 2009

My stable of bikes


Not all are vintage, 80's, or vintage 80's, but most are.
From left to right:

1) My wife's 199? Nishiki Blazer. Shimano Altus group with thumbshifters.
2) My 2002 Specialized Rockhopper Comp hardtail. Shimano Deore and LX with sprinkling of Specialized house-brand components and a Manitou Axel shock. I hardly ever ride this thing, but I know the moment I sell it someone will want to go off-roading somewhere.
3) 1993 Trek 520. I paid some kid way too much for this beat up example, but oh well! Gave it a complete overhaul in 2007, the most major change being new Mavic A119 36-spoke wheels laced to Deore LX hubs. Amazingly, the original Deore DX drivetrain held up remarkably well and is still what's on it today.
4) My Nahsbar touring bike. A couple summers ago Nashbar lowered the price of their AL touring frame drastically from the regular $199.99 price so I snapped it up. Sugino xD300 cranks, Deore drivetrain, Mavic A319 wheels on LX hubs, Dura-Ace 9 speed barends, Brooks B17 saddle.
5) 1987 Specialized Allez SE. The one that started it all. Got this brand new in the summer of '87 and rode it all over the place. Almost completely original - Unfortunately, my rear wheel was stolen during the college years and although I purchased a replacement Saturae wheelset off ripmeBay a while back, it's never been the same. Suntour Sprint 9000 Accushift components with the usual smattering of Specialized house-brand goodies. BTW I really love the Suntour 'power-ratchet' action on the left shift lever. Does it enhance performance? No. Does it make one go/shift faster? No. Is it just one of those inexplicable oddities I find super-cool? Yes, yes, yes! 3/31/10 - Dusting this one off and giving it an overhaul as my next project.
6) 1985? Specialized Allez SE. This is the bike I really wanted, but by the time '87 rolled around (see above), Specialized had changed things up a bit. This was a CL find in 2002 and it was in immaculate condition. Just gorgeous Suntour Superbe Pro parts all over except for the brakes which the original owner switched to the aero-style levers. Even still has vintage Specialized Turbo tires on it! Sweet!

Not pictured
7) 1985? Specialized Allez SE. No, this isn't a mistake. I love these bikes so much, I have another one just like the one above! Got this one off ripmeBay in 2002. Mostly original when I got it and restored it as much as possible down to the white Benotto cello tape. It also has a super-cool SR fluted seatpost with the red-painted flutes! I keep this one at work and ride it on lunchtime rides. Sold 3/30/2010 with my Suntour Superbe Pro pedals and NOS Superbe brake levers.
8) 1998? Colnago Altain. This is my main ride these days. Mix of Campy Veloce/Chorus with Mirage brifters and Vento wheels. This frame has the Columbus OS steel tubing - I wasn't a big fan of OS tubing before, but I really love the way this bike feels.
9) 1988 Schwinn Circuit. My latest project. Full Shimano Sante gruppo. And I'll talk about my restoration of this project in the next blog!
UPDATE 3/31/10: Project completed. Love the way this bike rides and it's become my new main ride for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment