Monday, June 15, 2009

1988 Schwinn Circuit Advertisements




I spent some time this weekend scanning some stuff from the old cycling mags I've got.
In addition to the steel tubing information and Sante scans, I found a few pics of the '88 Circuit.

The top pic is a Schwinn advertisement from an '88 issue of Cycling on the back cover. It's actually for a Schwinn Velodyne trainer, but they mounted an '88 Circuit and all its Sante'd glory on it. If you look closely, you'll see Mark Allen is wearing what appears to be those funky Nike cycling shoes with the velcro'ed-in cleats. Funny how 20+ years later, Nike still has yet to achieve even a toehold in the cycling shoe market. Considering how horrid a pair of Nike SPD touring shoes were to me on a camping trip I did a couple years back, I'm not surprised. I've yet to find a good, comfortable, breathable spd shoe. However, for Look-type cleats and pedals, I haven't looked (no pun intended) back since getting my Sidi Genius 5's. Those fit me better than even most non-cycling shoes I buy. If you want my Sidis, you'll have to pry them off my cold dead feet.... or just order your own online.

The bottom pic is from the 1988 Cyclist Buyer's guide. I guess they picked the Sante to show how much bling you got in the $700-$1,000 range back in the day. And then of course, once you get above the $1,000 range, we're talking the almost exclusive territory of high-end Campy bling bling.

No comments:

Post a Comment