Tuesday, January 26, 2010

1987 Specialized Allez SE



This bike holds a special place in my heart - the 1987 Specialized Allez SE. It was my first "racing bike" - a present for my 14th birthday. I rode the heck out of it in high school and then it served me faithfully as a commuter in college. That is, until someone decided to liberate the rear wheel when I had it lazily locked on campus through just the front wheel and frame. Man was I ever pissed. At the time it was stolen - around 1997, cassette hubs were all the rage and the eBay/Craigslist market was practically non-existent so I doubt the thief could've even sold it for very much if at all. I had a new wheel built shortly after, but the bike just hasn't been the same.
I did acquire a replacement Saturae wheelset for it years ago, but my OCD keeps complaining about the 4 extra spokes on the 36 spoke wheels, not to mention the funky gearing on the NOS freewheel. Sad to say, I haven't ridden 'er much until I can get 'er back to something that more closely resembles her glory days. I've got a couple other projects going on at the moment, so I probably won't have a chance to work on her for a while. She doesn't like me taking pictures when she's not at her best so you'll see some pictures when she decides you will.

Well here's her measurements and specs:
Frame: 56cm, blue
Tubeset: Specialized Special Series Double-Butted Chromoly. Made in Taiwan
Cranks: Suntour Sprint with anodized outer chainring (42-52)
Derailleurs: Suntour Sprint 9000 Accushift
Shift Levers: Suntour IPC Accushift
Brakes: Dia-Compe Royal Gran compe (black)
Brake Levers: Dia-Compe Aero Gran Compe (black levers w/ white hoods)
Hubs: Specialized sealed bearing
Chain: Wipperman (not original) Original: Sedisport
Rims: Specialized Saturae hard-anodized,36-spoke (not original) - Original: Saturae HC20 32-spoke
Tires: some shitty mis-matched Continentals (not original) - Original: Specialized Turbo LS
Headset: Specialized sealed
Stem: Specialized (Nitto), black anodized
Bars: SR World Champion (not original) Note: the original Specialized bars cracked after a mild spill when the bike was only a couple weeks old. The SR bars have been on there so long, I now consider them to be original equipment. Haha. Original - Specialized Model I
Seat: Selle Italia Turbo
Seatpost: Strong
Pedals: Specialized w/black resin toe clips and straps (since changed to white Christophe straps)
Weight: 23lbs
Price Paid in 1987: $599

6 comments:

  1. I have a '86 Specialized catalog if you still are interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize this is really old, but I would love a copy of the catalog. I recently started restoring a 1986 Allez SE Jim Merz edition bike.

      Delete
  2. Hey, that's awesome! I'd sure appreciate a scan of the Allez pages if not the whole thing! :)
    You can find my email in the profile on the right ---->
    Let me know if there's anything you're looking for and I can return the favor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so how can i tell what year my bike is its an allez se made in japan? its all original and works almost perfectly i put air in the tires and went for a 20 mile ride on it i love it!! also what do you think its worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'd like your 1986 Specialized catalog.
    ssorbe@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maui I'm buying a specialized allez Number 00130, it's Tánge super Cr-mo Double Butted tubing, with superb pro 26.6, do you have am idea of wich year it could have been made?

    ReplyDelete