Saturday, May 15, 2010

By Request - Sampson Pedals

These are some interesting pedals from the '80s. Seems everyone was trying to get a piece of the Look market and clipless pedals were about as hot as click-shifting.
Never tried these myself, heck, I've never even seen a set in person. I've tried Aerolite, Look, Shimano, and even the "turn your old quill pedals to clipless" PedalMaster, but not Sampson.
I ran across these scans in some of my old mags and posted them by request for a valued blog reader.





Here we have the "New Products" section of Cyclist Magazine. Not a whole lot of interesting info here that most folks didn't already know. About the most interesting part of this article is that they misspelled the freakin' name of the pedal! As you can see in the next advertisement...



The name of these pedals is "Sampson". I always liked the thought of the "no spin after release" feature and figured that would have been incorporated into all clipless systems somewhere down the line. Well, 21 years later I guess it's still just a thought.
If you have a pair of these, let me know your rants and raves in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post. Those shoes are quite funny. Very interesting...they claim the Sampsons are "Look compatible". I can only assume they mean the 3-bolt cleat pattern. The cleat itself had no similarity to a Look cleat. The "no spin after release" really wasn't as convenient as it sounds. The friction added when clipped out wasn't enough to prevent it from turning when bumped (such as a missed clip-in attempt). When that happened I'd have to look down and kick it around to get it to a good position. I remember paying $100 in 1989 (I only paid $600 for the 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert). I worked all summer as a bag boy at Albertson's to buy my first bike and accessories. I don't regret getting the Sampsons. They were much better than using straps. I still have the pedals but the supply of cleats ran out and I had to upgrade to "modern" pedals.

    ReplyDelete