Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Joshua West

I did not know Joshua, but he was killed in Los Gatos, CA this past Monday when an out of control SUV veered onto the sidewalk where he was riding his bicycle and killed him.

Joshua, 28, had just walked his 7 year old daughter to school and was riding to a physical therapy appointment when he was hit. He was a single father.
I'm commenting on Joshua's story simply because I happened to read it on a news site and it hit me in a soft spot somewhere. Hard.

I have a wonderful wife and an 18-month old son (with a daughter on the way), and I often think about how much time and energy it takes both of us to raise our son. I couldn't imagine doing it on my own.

Josh was only 28 and he was doing it.

I think of how I lived my life when I was in my 20's and, well, there's nothing I'd be real proud of revealing publicly.

I think of how an out-of-control SUV careening towards you doesn't care if you're on a carbon or steel bike, or how fast you are, or if you're wearing lycra and spandex or regular work clothes.

I think about my family and my unborn daughter and wonder if I should be scared away from riding now.

I think of how Josh's daughter was going through what she thought was a regular Monday at school, only to have someone pull her out of class to tell her that her Daddy wouldn't be picking her up after school anymore, or having breakfast with her, or reading a story and tucking her in at night.

I think of how the driver of the SUV should be the one to tell her all this.

I think of her initial bewildement and confusion that would slowly turn into a cold loneliness.

But most of all, I think of how the only way I can help is to offer some paltry financial assistance to Josh's daughter that will aid with the necessities, but will do nothing to change how she will live the rest of her life without her father.



I emailed the reporter at the San Jose Mercury News for information on where to send donations and he replied with the following:

An account has been set up for the "Joshua West Memorial Fund" at Wells Fargo Bank. Donations can be made at any Wells Fargo branch, account No. 8659223930. All funds will go toward his 7-year-old daughter.

More information: http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_14317361

No comments:

Post a Comment